Quinoa is definitely a trendy health food option, but for good reason! It’s a whole grain that packs a mighty nutrient punch. It can be found in most grocery stores throughout the country, restaurants are adding it to the menu, and health nuts are raving about it all over magazines and blogs (myself included)!
You should add quinoa to your diet for a multitude of reasons:
- Protein-rich: Quinoa contains a complete essential amino acid profile. This quality protein assists with muscle growth and repair, brain function and complete body health. It has a high protein-to-carbohydrate ratio as well when compared with other grains.
- Vegetarian friendly: This is a plant-based food that offers vegetarians a good dose of iron and protein.
- Gluten-free: If you have a gluten sensitivity, you might consider adding quinoa to your diet. It’s gluten-free and has more antioxidants than other gluten-free grains.
- Easy to prepare: This is a great option for those who aren’t gifted with kitchen skills. There are only a few steps involved when preparing quinoa, and it takes far less time to cook than rice.
- Fiber-rich: Quinoa has two times as much fiber as other grain options. Fiber helps keep you fuller between meals, aids with digestion and can help you drop those unwanted pounds.
- Contains healthy fat: Quinoa contains healthy fats, which assist with most body functions and keep your brain sharp.
- Energy producer: Quinoa helps boost energy via its high level of essential vitamins and minerals, including vitamin B and magnesium.
- Lowers risk of chronic diseases: Adding whole grains such as quinoa to your diet has been associated with a lowered risk of certain chronic diseases such as diabetes, hypertension and obesity.